microwave pork rinds
Click To Enlarge

What are microwave pork rinds?

Microwave pork rinds are pork skins that have been cooked to remove 70% of the fat in the product. The cooking process results in a shelf stable product that has a shelf life of 12 plus months. The remaining 30% of the fat is sufficient to allow them to be cooked or puffed in a microwave or in the oven. The resulting microwave pork rind is a healthier (less saturated fat) alternative to the puffed bagged pork rinds.

It looks like microwave pork rinds cost more than bagged fried pork rinds. Why?

Not when you compare the common denominator of the actual food product. In bagged fried pork rinds you are just buying more fat. Both microwave pork rinds and bagged fried pork rinds are both made from the same pork product. In order to puff the pork rinds they are fried in fat. As with any food fried in fat, the pork rind absorbs fat as part of the cooking process. For example if over time you purchased 10 lbs of microwave pork rinds and 10 lbs of fried bagged pork rinds, you would have really only purchased 8.2 lbs of the original product used to make bagged fried pork rinds. The remaining 1.8 lbs is the fat you purchased absorbed in the cooking process. From an economic view if you purchase a sealed bag of fried pork rinds as it come off the manufacturing line, the shelf life is about 3 to 4 months. Once the bag is opened the product deteriorates quickly and within a few days they have lost their crunch factor. Microwave pork rinds have a 9 month shelf life even if the bag is opened and you only cook as much as you plan to eat. So you are always eating fresh cooked pork rinds.

I want to buy a diet friendly snack for my family, what advice do you offer.

Read the label and do your own research. Look at the ingredients and avoid products that include MSG and other additives. Many diabetic and weight control diets suggest you reduce carbohydrates, plain microwave pork rinds have 0 carbs. The purpose of a snack is to forestall hunger between meals and an important consideration is the fullness factor. The fullness factor of microwave pork rinds is higher than many other snack food products.

How to Cook Pork Rinds


65% Less Fat, 33% Less Sodium, 32 mg Less Cholesterol and 40 Less Calories per serving than traditional deep fried pork rinds. Our serving size is 1 ounce (about a quarter of a cup or one small handful). Put the pork rind pellets into an ordinary paper sandwich / lunch bag. Fold the bag shut and lay the bag on it's side in the microwave. Shake the bag. This is so the pellets won't stack up on top of each other. Consider your first batch to be a test batch. This is because microwave ovens cook at different rates. Start with a time of a minute and a half. If some of the pellets don't puff up all the way, or if a few burn, adjust the time up or down by ten or fifteen seconds. (My 1000 watt micrwave works best at 99 seconds.) They don't make any noise as they puff up. At this point you can add seasoning to the bag and shake to coat the pork rinds. When you pour them out of the bag, they will be snapping, crackling and popping. This will continue for a while. If you pop up more than you can eat, keep them in a zip lock bag for later.  Store at room temperature for up to one year.

How to Fry Pork Rinds:

Heat oil (lard, vegetable or a more healthy oil) to 375°, Drop the pork rinds or lower a metal basket into the oil (be careful not to burn your self). Cook for 50-60 seconds the cooked rinds will puff and float to the top. Remove from oil and let cool. You may want to add additional salt to taste. If you want to flavor the pork rinds, put them in a paper bag while hot and add seasoning. Shake the pork rinds in the bag to coat them and they are ready to eat. You can make your seasoning or purchase one of ours.

  • Item #: CGN100-12

Carolina Gold Nuggets 100 Calorie Snacks, 12 Packages

Price: $12.95
* Marked fields are required.
Availability: In-Stock
Qty: *
Reviews (0) Write a Review
No Reviews. Write a Review